When it comes to home maintenance, a lot of people forget to check the roof. But, keeping your roof in good shape and doing routine roof inspections are a part of your home’s maintenance schedule. Catching problems beforehand is the key to saving time and money down the road. A leaking roof is the second most common cause of water damage in the home. You should have a roof inspection at least once a year, twice a year if living next to trees that drop leaves and pine needles.
Roofing Experts in McHenry & Lake County IL
If you don’t like climbing up on a ladder or need assistance with your roof, then give us a call at (815) 385-2102 to schedule a roof inspection. We serve McHenry and Lake County Illinois.
If you’re going to do the inspection your self, here is a checklist of items to look for when inspecting the roof.
- Start out on the ground level. Walk around the property and look for any signs of damage, sagging or discoloration.
- Once on the roof look for signs of moss, algae, anything green, moldy or covered in plant material.
- Curled and buckled shingles are a sign of hot air from the attic escaping through the roof. It increases the chances of damaging your roof and is a sign of poor ventilation.
- Look for clogged gutters and check roof overhangs. Maintain your downspouts and look for signs of rot.
- Get a close look at the texture of your shingles. If they are smooth, discolored or aging, it’s time to replace them.
- Make sure you check the counter flashing while on the roof. It’s a metal, waterproof strip installed in spots that need additional moisture protection. Look for signs of shrinkage and damage while inspecting.
- If you have an attic, make sure you check it for signs of water damage and penetration from the roof.
If you’ve found damage during the inspection. Call (815) 385-2102 to schedule service. We serve McHenry and Lake County Illinois.